What’s the difference between a Home Theatre and a Media Room?
On the face of it, it may seem that a Home Theatre and a Media Room are much the same thing. You may hear the terms ‘home theatre’ (or ‘home cinema’) and ‘media room’ used interchangeably, however when speaking to your AV integrator, architect, or designer it’s important to be able to distinguish between them in order to be able to communicate your vision for the space.
What is a home theatre?
A home theatre is a controlled environment designed purely for the enjoyment of a cinematic experience where the utmost attention has been paid to audio and visual systems and creating a distraction free environment.
Important factors usually include:
- The ability to control (or eliminate) ambient light – often these spaces are designed without window or have total blackout shades – to create a better onscreen picture.
- Larger screens or projectors as they perform well in light-controlled environments
- An acoustically treated room, specifically constructed for sound control – both keeping sound in and keeping outside sounds out.
- Premium quality on-wall speakers and on-floor subwoofers for exceptional surround sound producing an immersive cinema experience.
- Theatre-like seating for optimised for viewing, sometimes built on risers so that the whole audience has unobstructed views from any seat.
So, what is a Media Room?
A media room is usually a multipurpose space with a more relaxed seating arrangement that encourages entertaining, watching a rugby game or enjoying a movie with family, rather than being optimised for the ultimate cinematic experience. Media rooms can be installed in virtually any space- lounge, living room, rumpus room or in an open floor area of some sort.
- Ambient light is less of a concern.
- Flat screen TV’s usually specified over projectors.
- Acoustic treatments and sound isolation not usually necessary.
- Smaller surround sound systems, providing a lesser degree of cinematic immersion, often utilising architectural (in-wall or in-ceiling) speakers for aesthetic reasons.
- Relaxed seating arrangement for multipurpose room use.
Talk to one of our friendly consultants today about how we can create the perfect space – home theatre or media room – to fit you and your family’s lifestyle. Phone 0505 288 662 or email firstname.lastname@example.org